Tuesday 29 October 2013

My Assam!!

Born and brought up in Assam I always took certain things for granted. Things like lush greenery, rain drenched morning, cold winter morning, dew drops, rainbows, hail storms, chasing butterflies, big houses, garden, the list is endless. I never thought that in some parts of the world these things are a rarity, these things are luxury.

While growing up, I went to many towns of Assam as my Baba had a transferrable job. So, I was born in Silchar, then to Diphu, to Tejpur, Guwahati, again Diphu and then Silchar. At that time my Mom refused to do more of city hopping as she was concerned about our studies and we settled down at Silchar.

So, although I spent most of my childhood years in Silchar, I also have memories of all the other towns. Then after class 10th, I went to Haflong and stayed with my Kaku for 2 years. It was wonderful 2 years that I spent there. I made some friends for life there and have some great memories.

Mumbai happened to me after marriage and for the last 11 years I am in Mumbai. After Silchar, if I call any other city home, it is Mumbai. I have adapted myself to the city and have been blessed with some wonderful friends here. So, I have a great social circle here and am really happy.

That is not what I want to tell you all. What I want to say is that even though I call Mumbai home, there is a constant urge to go back to Silchar once in a while. Whenever I go there, I come all rejuvenated to take on life. Yes, that is a place that my soul resides. Now, I have started showing symptoms of an unknown disease. I have started owning everything that North East India has! For example, it used to be Kaziranga National park untill it became 'My Kaziranga', Brahmaputra and Barak used to be rivers common to all, but all of a sudden they have become 'my Barak' and 'my Brahmaputra'. Similarly, it is 'my Guwahati', 'my Silchar', 'my Shillong' and the list goes on. Everything and every part of North East has become MINE, I don't know from when..... so I ask people....have you seen 'My Shillong'? You will forget any other hill Station..... do you have Assam Silk from 'my Assam'.

Not only that, I keep on telling Ishan - "during my childhood I used to run after butterflies and play outdoors all day with dada". Well, now I know in my heart that in Mumbai where sighting a butterfly is only a big thing how can he possibly chase one? I also know that even if he wants to play all day out I will not allow him. Still I go on and on. Now I have come to the colclusion that this is a disease. I cannot expect my son to grow up in Mumbai exactly how I grew up in 'my Assam'! Still I want him to do things that I did. Per me he is missing the fun, which is probably not correct. He does not know those fun things that we used to do, so probably for him playing a video game and cricket is more fun than langdi, kabaddi, land & water or gilli danda. But the thought that he will be detached from the things that I hold so dear to me, makes me worry.

I want 'My Assam' to be 'Our Assam' with Ishan in it. He loves Silchar dearly....we all love the place where our grandparents stay, don't we? Despite that, I fear that his love for Silchar or Assam or North East will not be as intense as mine.

Alas, this disease is eating me up!!!! By the way have you visited 'My North East' ever? It is heaven on earth, you are always welcome there.

5 comments:

  1. Good one. Even I am born and brought up in Assam and have been out of the state for last 6 years but I did not realize some things that don't happen outside the state till now like butterflies, hail storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for liking my blog Bikash. Appreciation from a non-acquaintance is a great boost to any person. Thanks again..... and yes I do miss my days of chasing butterflies..... :)

      Delete
  2. Of course... North East is a heaven on earth and we all are connected with this place. Love the thought, which is very similar to mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sanhi, for me too home will always be haflong. Its been ages since I left the place and I dream of going back at least once more. And I wish Khushi could have that the same beautiful, pure childhood I enjoyed while growing up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Srobona.... let's plan a trip to Haflong once..... I also want to go there once and walk the same path that we walked years back...... College, Kamla Mam's tuition, Ashu Sir's tuition....your house, Geeta and Ranji's house...... that trip to the Guest House...... Kali Baari.....Aaah!! lovely memories na?? miss them yaa.....

      Delete